People are panic buying all over South Africa leaving those that either finish work late or do not want to buy in bulk with limited items to choose from when shopping. This is certainly not ideal as inadequate nutrition can contribute to an unbalanced immune system. So, I’ve put together a few tips on how to ensure that you consume a balanced diet with limited food items.
BALANCED NUTRITION & SHOPPING
Firstly, it’s important to remember that balanced means consuming foods from all 5 food groups. This includes proteins, carbohydrates, fats, fruits and vegetables. If you need to self-quarantine or you are simply limiting your trips to shops. Here are a few shopping tips:
• It is important to ensure that you purchase a variety of foods as far as possible
• Fruits and vegetable provide numerous vitamins and minerals. Remember to try and include a variety of colours. If you purchase fresh produce then choose those that last longer such as apples, oranges, potatoes, carrots and butternut. Frozen fruit and vegetables are a good option as they are usually cheaper, last longer and have the same nutritional value. You can also purchase tinned tomatoes to make delicious homemade sauces.
• Protein plays a role in the body’s immune system functioning optimally. For protein options you can purchase eggs and frozen lean meat. Tinned items such as beans, legumes and tuna. Do not to buy canned foods you don’t usually even eat out of panic.
• Look for carbohydrate options that are high in dietary fibre such as brown rice, wholegrain pasta and quinoa. The FUTURELIFE® High Protein Bread range is not only high in dietary fibre but also low GI. The loaves freeze well so you can store these in the freezer and simply pop a slice in the toaster when needed.
• Options for healthy fats can include raw nuts and nut butters such as sugar free, salt free peanut butter. Cooking oil intake should be limited therefore the average household would already have sufficient amounts of these.
FUTURELIFE® TICKS ALL THE BOXES
When it comes to balanced eating, FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ is a great example of an ‘all in one’ as it provides a balanced low GI meal. Just one 50g serving contains 50% of your daily requirements for most vitamins and minerals and is the food equivalent of 1½ slices of whole-wheat bread (high in dietary fibre) , 1½ eggs (high in protein), a teaspoon of margarine (high in omega 3) and a capsule of MODUCARE®. MODUCARE®, a patented blend of plant sterols and sterolins clinically proven to help support a balanced and healthy immune system. It is beneficially added to numerous FUTURELIFE® cereals and bars.
The powdered FUTURELIFE® range can also be enjoyed as a meal by simply adding water so there’s no problem if you run out of milk. In addition to this, the products have a long shelf life, no added preservatives, are non-GMO and suitable for the whole family. The products also high in dietary fibre and contain inulin. Inulin is a soluble fibre with prebiotic properties that provide food for the good bacteria in your gut to ensure optimal digestion and immune support.
We understand that you and the family may get tired of eating the same bowl of cereal everyday therefore the versatility of the FUTURELIFE® powdered range also sets it apart from the rest. You can use it to make smoothies, protein balls and as a flour base for crumpets and baked goods. You can find these delicious recipes in the smart centre on our website www.futurelife.co.za . Tip: Get the kids in the kitchen to assist you and make a fun activity of it to keep them occupied.
Whether you’re at home or preparing yourself for the long queues at the grocery store, if you’re looking for healthy snack options we’ve got you covered. FUTURELIFE® High Protein and High Protein LITE SmartBars are low GI, contain MODUCARE® and are high in protein. Containing 22% SmartProtein3D, a scientific blend of 3 protein sources (Whey, Caseinate, Soy), both bars make the perfect on-the-go or work from home snack. Tip: You can purchase many of our FUTURELIFE® products online and numerous grocery stores are also able to deliver.
Remember that nutrition can play a key role in supporting a healthy immune system so be mindful of the items you purchase to create healthy and balanced meals. Stay safe and healthy!